Thursday, March 1, 2012

Wiz Khalifa-Rising Stardom

(Photo: http://www.xxlmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/wiz-khalifa-2010-feat.jpg)

As 2009 turned into 2010, Wiz Khalifa started putting out more and more music to satisfy his growing fan base.  As I mentioned, the term "Taylor Gang" was born and he used it as a reference to both a certain lifestyle (smoking marijuana and drinking alcohol) and it was also the name coined for his loyal fans.  2009, in my opinion, was the release of Wiz Khalifa's best mixtape to date and that was "Flight School".  I had a much similar reaction to this mixtape as I did to the first Wiz Khalifa song that I ever heard.  Every single song I loved, which is rare for me.  I tend to be picky when it comes to rap and rarely do I hear an artist use a great beat paired with some great lyrics.  To date this is still my go-to mixtape if I want to listen to Wiz Khalifa.  Around this time he also released another quality mixtape called "Star Power".  Although I didn't love every song like I did "Flight School", there were still some quality songs that showed how "hungry" Wiz was for that fame.  For example in his song "Star Power" on the mixtape, the chorus talks about how he has put in a ton of work and is finally seeing it pay off, both literally and figuratively.  

His songs started to show more and more how important marijuana is in his life because every song basically talked about it.  For example in his song "Dreamer" off of the "Flight School" mixtape, the first line of the first verse says how he "wakes up every mornin' to a fat blunt". But even as a non-user I could still vibe out to these songs and appreciate the fact that this was a man who loved music and was finally seeing fame.  Another great thing about Wiz is that he kept up a youtube page and would occasionally  put out videos titled "Day Today".  This allowed fans to get an inside look at Wiz from when he had nothing and was traveling around in a sedan with his friends as a way to get to and from performances, to now when he is staying in penthouse suites, with a trophy girlfriend, and traveling in a tour bus.  Check out Wiz on youtube to see videos that date back to over three years ago.  As a sneak peak to my next post, here is a perfect example of showing how Wiz has changed.  

(From Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSHmRDHO08&feature=plcp&context=C3776188UAOEgsToPDskLd8ldNunVWYWvHkB_HldhV)


(From Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbe-BWmKw60&feature=plcp&context=C37a108cUDOEgsToPDskIpJRHmJ3FtjnA7wSNLAeTV)

3 comments:

  1. Make sure each paragraph is about one thing. Give your reader digestible chunks of information. And remember, compression and economy is the stuff of blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even feel like reading this because it looked so long and I really don't care about Wiz Khalifa's rise to stardom. He is big now why should we care how he got there? He did it, good for him, let's move on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @MorganAyars I'm sorry that you feel that way. This blog may not be for you because I am primarily focusing on the evolution of artists, and if you only care about where they are now I may only be setting you up for disappointment.

    ReplyDelete